Monday, June 4, 2012

from Ali

 Over the past two weeks, I feel like I've been so informed with all of the problems that we have today due to the meat and dairy industries that staying vegan for me is inevitable. Over the past week that I've been vegan, I have noticed that I no longer feel sick after eating. Surprisingly, I think I recently became lactose intolerant and so being aware of what I've been eating has really affected the way that I've been feeling after meals. This class has really benefitted me so far because I've become not only more health concious, but I've also become much more environmentally friendly in all of my decisions. 
The reading that affected me the most this week was the Rolling Stone's article on Boss Hogs. To read information like that is so depressing and it's so difficult to believe that our government is allowing this to go on. Pig shit so poisonous that it takes the lives of those working with it is nearly unbelieveable. Yet it's continuing to go on regardless of all of the problems coming out of it. Not only is it bad for our environment, but it is also disgusting that the pigs so pumped with hormones and anti-biotics are allowed to be sold to the public for food. To think that our country is putting something so toxic in their body without being well aware is not fair. Plus, with the laws that our country has, it's now illegal to speak about what actually goes on. This article was so intriguing, yet so disturbing. I'm just thankful that other governments are refusing to allow Smithfield into their states.

No comments:

Post a Comment